Family Law Attorneys Serving Amherst, Lynchburg, And Nelson
Family legal disputes can be extremely complicated, delicate, and expensive. Emotions can run deep and hot. Decisions you make today can affect your life and the lives of your children long into the future.
For these reasons, it is important that you retain a lawyer who is experienced in resolving family legal issues and who can keep a cool head for you during a trying time.
At Shrader & Goad in Amherst, Virginia, our attorneys have more than 50 years of combined experience in meeting the legal needs of Central Virginians. We meet with our family law clients personally to discuss their goals before taking legal action. By doing this, we explore the range of possibilities available, while helping you decide which options are best for your unique circumstances.
As your family law lawyers, we can provide you with the legal advice, guidance and representation you need in even the most contentious and complicated family conflicts. We handle all matters relating to:
- Divorce and separation: We assist individual spouses in taking the correct legal steps leading up to, and including, divorce. This includes separations and annulments, fault-based and no-fault divorces, division of marital assets, and reviews of qualified domestic relation orders (QDRO). We are skilled negotiators who can help you obtain a reasonable divorce settlement or fight for your goals in court.
- Child custody and visitation: Our lawyers can help you establish or protect your parenting rights after a divorce, separation or other relationship breakdown and help you determine your options for joint legal custody, sole legal custody, physical custody, and/or joint physical custody. We can also help you resolve custody issues when one parent needs to relocate out of the area or out of state.
- Child support: We help clients to obtain a child support amount that complies with state formulas and accurately reflects your financial circumstances and those of your former spouse or co-parent. We can also account for child care expenses and medical benefits.
- Modifications of orders: When your personal or financial circumstances change substantially, under the law we can help you modify the terms of court orders relating to divorce, child custody, child support or spousal support. We can also contest your former spouse’s attempts to modify those terms against your wishes.
- Enforcement of orders: We can seek to enforce court orders for child support, spousal support, and custody. We can also obtain and seek to enforce restraining orders and orders for protection in circumstances of domestic abuse.
- Paternity: We can establish a child’s parentage through a DNA test so that the father has legal access to his children or the mother may obtain child support and medical care benefits, among other considerations.
- Termination of parental rights: When there is abuse or neglect in the home, we can ensure the safety and well-being of your child by seeking to terminate the other parent’s access rights.
- Premarital agreements: We advise, draft, review, and seek to enforce any premarital agreements (also known as prenuptial agreements, or “prenups”) designed to define specific marital duties and protect your financial interests in a divorce. A prenup can be used to resolve potential issues of child support, spousal support and property division proactively, before a marriage has a chance to fail.
- Adoptions: We assist prospective parents in both private placements and agency placements for adoptions. We frequently help grandparents, stepparents, and other interested parties to adopt children in appropriate circumstances. We can help you to assign a stand-by guardian for your child if you die or become incapacitated.
Contact Us | Free Consultation
For more information, contact an Amherst family lawyer at Shrader & Goad today. We are available online and by calling 434-509-0226, 888-497-1184 toll free. Our attorneys offer free consultations to prospective clients.